With its distinctive crossing tower and trefoil choir, Groß St. Martin has shaped the skyline of Cologne-s historic Old Town since the Middle Ages. In Roman times, the site was located on an island in the Rhine and contained several warehouses. After Groß St. Martin was severely damaged in World War II, impressive archaeological excavations were made underneath the choir. As a result, the smooth transition from the foundations of a Roman warehouse to the walls of the church aisles can still be clearly seen. The upper parts of the church were reconstructed after World War II and are a typical example of Rhenish architecture from between 1150 and 1250. Today the interior of this former Benedictine church is characterized, on the one hand, by its imposing architecture and, on the other, by its minimalist furnishings.